Taking a tour? Some things to keep top of mind.
Planning to take a tour of a senior living community? There are thousands of Senior Living, Assisted Living, and Memory Care communities to choose from in the U.S. alone. When you narrow your choices down to your top few, the next step is usually an in-person tour of the community. Whenever someone tours Quail Park of Oro Valley we want to make sure they get the most out of their visit and that all their important questions are asked and answered.
We highly recommend that when you tour a senior living community, you come with your own questions in mind. Here’s a starter checklist of items to keep top of mind when you’re looking at a Retirement, Assisted Living, or Memory Care community.
- Were you greeted promptly by front desk team and offered assistance and a refreshment?
- As you tour the community, observe staff and resident interactions. Is the staff patient, helpful and kind? Were you greeted and welcomed by residents and staff as you toured?
- Did you observe residents socializing with each other and/or attending activities? Ask a resident about their community experiences.
- Was there an Activity/Life Enhancement calendar posted or is there one in the tour packet? If so, do any of the planned activities meet your or your family member’s needs?
- Is the building clean and odor free?
- Are the hallways, doorways and common areas conducive for safe walking?
- Take the time to have a meal. Is the service friendly and attentive? Are the dining hours and food choices flexible? Did the staff meet your food handling expectations?
- Take time to meet the Executive Director and other key team members.
- How many staff members are scheduled throughout the day?
- What is evening availability of Care Team, and the system for obtaining assistance 24-hours a day?
- Ask about staff training and credentials. Meet the licensed nurse at the Community.
- How many hours per day or per week is the nurse in the building?
- Is the most recent state survey available for review?